8.02.2009

A Thesis


To consider myself an expert on film would be a lie borne of hubris. I simply enjoy a good movie, almost as much as I love discussing it. This is a blog for the latter. And maybe some other stuff too.

I'll start from somewhere in the middle of my film viewing experience. Fritz Lang was a filmmaker back as early as the twenties. He made Metropolis, one of the first sci-fi films in existence, and on the strength of that film (it is legendary even today) Hitler asked him to be the official filmmaker for the 3rd Reich. Lang refused (Leni Riefenstahl would go on to make a few propaganda films for the great dictator).

Those are simply useless trivia (which I feel the the film community spends far too much time bantering about). The meat of film comes not from all the peripheral things you know about the director or the production difficulties etc. M is a film created by Fritz Lang. It doesn't matter whether you know that it was the first film on which he used sound. It doesn't matter because the story is well told. Peter Lorre's performance in the final scene is heart stopping. But it wouldn't have been possible without a good story.

This is what I intend to talk about. Story telling.

No comments: